Re: .bash_profile, the empty /etc/skel, and the first user

Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> Such as, when I tried to use The Gimp, it needed a .gimprc which it
> didn't automatically make.  I therefore had to make an empty .gimprc
> and it worked.

This was my fault.  I have a new gimp package that fixes this.  Just
creating an empty file probably won't give you full functionality.
The file needs a bunch of entries that tell it where the plug-ins are,
etc.  You should have copied the default from /usr/doc/gimp/gimprc or
something similar.

The right way to handle this (IMO) is the way I do in the new
(forthcoming) gimp package. You have it load a default file, followed
by the user's file.  Then the user will profit from new upstream
additions, and can override them when desired.  I guess the best would
be the equivalent of a "source" command in the user's file, so the
user could ignore the default file completely if desired.

The new gimp will load all the files in /etc/gimp/gimprc.*, and then
the user's file.  This is in anticipation of add on packages for all
the cool extra plug-ins available.

--
Rob