Re: The list broken or smail broken?

Dale Scheetz:
> On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > I get these strange messages since I switched to smail on my home system.
> > Any know what this is all about?
> >
> > On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 debian-devel-owner-clameter=waterf.org@lists.debian.org wr
> ote:
> >
> > debian-devel-owner-clameter=waterf.org >--
> > debian-devel-owner-clameter=waterf.org >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST:
>  e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
> > debian-devel-owner-clameter=waterf.org >debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> . Trouble? e-mail to Bruce@Pixar.com
> > debian-devel-owner-clameter=waterf.org >
> >
> I'm getting the same sort of messages. I don't use smail, so that's not
> it.

I think this is a symptom of a bug in qmail that I've encountered
before.

When qmail is doing outbound SMTP it will issue a DATA command for a
message even if it hasn't had any successful RCPTs.

Even worse, it seems that sometimes when the receiving MTA says "5xx
don't be bloody stupid" qmail acts as if it had got "go ahead" and
sends the message text anyway.  Each line gets interpreted as a
separate SMTP command !

Ian.