Re: 2.1.X Kernels

clameter@waterf.org (Christoph Lameter)  wrote on 14.12.96 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95.961214190505.4484A-100000@waterf.org>:

> I have reports of
> - irqtune in hwtools not working
> - dosemu failing
> - ibcs not working

Disclaimer: I haven't touched 2.1.x yet.

>From linux-kernel, I get the impression that all binary modules should
break, but most source modules should still work, maybe with suboptimal
performance if they do some things that weren't brilliant under 2.0.x and
have gotten really bad under 2.1.x (like fetching data from user space in
single byte steps).

That is, recompiling should work for most modules. Modules that directly
access hardware may need additional fixes to always use the right address
space (physical, kernel virtual, user virtual?).

ISTR some more insmod problems later, but surely there is a fixed package
somewhere. Abyway, the way I understand it, from 2.1.current on, the
interface should be fairly stable. (After all, Linus v2.0 takes some
development effort so Linus v1.0 has less time to spend on the kernel ...
:-))

MfG Kai