Re: "Brian C. White" <bcwhite@verisim.com>

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Dale Scheetz:
> This only works if the two are identical. If I upgrade to a new orig
> source tree without removing the orig.tar.gz file how should the choice
> then be made?

If you upgrade to a new version, you should change the name of
the directory. But there could still be situations where the
directory and the .orig.tar.gz both exist. dpkg-buildpackage
could check that the files in the directory and in .orig.tar.gz
are identical. Slow, but that's life.

Having the directory deleted is a bit surprising, though I
haven't lost any data myself. If nothing else, it might be a
good idea to add some warnings to the manual.

On the other hand, this might be a symptom that the whole build
process a bit too complicated, though I can't really see how it
should be simplified.