Re: Shadow passwords and GNU su

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:

marekm >Christoph Lameter:
marekm >> The authentication databases are compatible with /etc/passwd. We use our
marekm >> /etc/passwd for authentication for webpages which have restricted access.
marekm >
marekm >So I guess you won't be able to use shadow passwords then - the web
marekm >server can't have access to shadow passwords, sorry.  It may be
marekm >possible to use a setuid CGI program to do the authentication, but
marekm >I think it's a local issue that shouldn't affect Debian itself.
marekm >Shadow passwords are optional, so you have the choice...

Note that the webserver behavior is quite customary for a lot of
other apps as well. They all rely on the standard UNIX /etc/passwd layout.

Perhaps we can work out something to make those applications work?

The ideal situation would be to have shadow passwords as standard but all
legacy apps still working.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5