Re: Shadow passwords and GNU su

Joey Hess:
> I think there's a shadow ssh on
> ftp://serek.arch.pwr.wroc.pl/pub/shadow/debian/

It's there, but an older version (1.2.14).

> Can't log in to that ftp server to check right now.

Just tried to log in, the server seems to work fine...

> Though gnu su isn't as secure, I _hate_ the su that comes with shadow. It

Well, if you hate it, why don't you simply report a bug? :-)

> has a very different behavior than gnu su if you don't request that the
> shell it gives you is a login shell. With gnu su, the HOME variable is
> changed to point to the new user's home directory. With shadow su, it is
> not. When I was using shadow su, I quickly got tired of suing to root and
> then having programs deposit dotfiles in the home directory of the user I
> su'd from. Sure, I could use su - to get a login shell and HOME would be
> changed, but I typically want PWD to stay the same when I su.

It shouldn't be too hard to fix this one...  If there is anything else
you don't like about the shadow su, please let me know so I can fix it.

Marek