root PATH clobbered -- where do I fix it?

I was installing a system from scratch, and I had installed a few
packages (with dpkg).  I logged out for a minute, and logged back in
(from the console) as root.  The next time I tried to launch dpkg, it
failed because root's path had changed to be the same as a normal
users, i.e. not including sbin and usr/sbin.  It appears to be a
permanent change, persisting even across reboots.

Does anyone know how this might have happened, and/or how I might fix
it?  It's not root's .bashrc.  I checked; it's empty.  Where is the
root path set?  Could some package I installed have clobbered it?

Thanks
--
Rob