Re: a good solution to the libXt problem (really)

Kevin Dalley:
> Some operating systems require programs to be setuid root in order to
> manipulate pseudoterminals.  This is as much of a hack as setuid for
> utmp or load calculations.  Fortunately, Linux does not require setuid
> programs for pseudoterminals.  To verify this, I run non-setuid xterms
> as root and then as kevin, which has no special permissions on my
> machine.  I was able to use the same pseudoterminal as first root and
> then kevin without any difficulty.  The permissions of the
> pseudoterminal changes, but root permission is not needed.  The
> pseudoterminals remain owned by root.  When xterm is run as setuid,
> the ownership of the pseudoterminal changes.

Do you feel it isn't a security problem if any other user on the
system can read the keystrokes of xterm users ?

This is the effect of having the pty slave be world-readable.

It is true that the situation that root privilege is required to
safely manipulate pty's is not acceptable.  Hence my bug report
against script.

Unfortunately the right solution to this problem (and to the related
problem of utmp) is a significant amount of design and coding.

In the meantime we will have to live with at least xterm being setuid
root.

Ian.