Re: Naming the tree [Was: Upcoming Debian Releases]

Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> [ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]
>
> Fabrizio Polacco:
> > Should we follow down all the greek alphabet or someone has a better
> > hint?
>
> It's not broken, don't fix it.

I could easily agree, but this montly thread suggesting to change
unstable in latest _would_ break it. We should firmly stop it or follow
it finding a naming scheme that makes us all agree.

I have to remember that I didn't understood this scheme, the first time
I approached a Debian site, but in that time I charged my broken
english. Anyway I'm not the only one with this handycap, and I can't
consider fixing it a very bad idea.

But maybe could be better to write a good explanation and put it in
evidence on the sites. The Debian mirror nearest to me, ftp.funet.fi,
not a small one, still suggests people to use the directory debian-0.93

ftp> cd /pub/Linux/mirrors/debian
250-The current version of Debian GNU/Linux is 0.93 Release 6,
250-in the debian-0.93 directory here.
250-

Maybe this can be considered a marginal issue, but I consider Debian's
image of primary importance.
As someone else suggested, we should slow down our fury in the
development and try to follow users a little more closer.

[Please, forgive my vent, I'm just a little tired to read reports in the
italian newsgroups from people that, after 10 minutes of dselect,
switched to RedHat saying "debian fa schifo!". (decency impose me to not
translate).]

Fabrizio
--
	Someone once said that if you leave a group of programmers
	free to do what they want, they'll come out with something