Re: Better name for "unstable"?

> On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Brian C. White wrote:
>
> > Shaya Potter wrote:
> > >
> > > Developer Snapshot might be a better name, otherwise some CD manufacturer
> > > is gonna put it on their CD.
> >
> > The name is a little long, but you bring up a good point.  Personally, I
> > don't see a problem with it going on a CD, so long as the user can tell
> > instantly that that tree has not been verified to work as a single entity.
> >

> That's actually why I thought the above would be a good name, so we can
> do something like the free bsd project does, release "unstable" developer
> snapshot releases, which we say we don't guarantee as being stable, but
> is the latest and greatest.

I was thinking of (unreleased,prereleased,released) for
(unstable,frozen,stable), but I like (snapshot,prerelease,release)
better.  Again, it serves to distinguish clearly between what is
shipping and what isn't, while allowing people who want the bleeding
edge know what they are getting.

> Shaya
> --
> Shaya Potter
> spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil
>
> --

     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our
liberty depends upon the chaos and cacaphony of the unfettered speech
the First Amendment protects."  -- A.L.A. v. U.S. Dept. of Justice