Re: Upcoming Debian Releases [auto-post]

Brian C. White:
> > > There are not critical bugs open against X.  Since it has been decided
> > > that rex would ship with the older X, and this bug won't get patched
> > > because it is already fixed in the newer version, I don't see the point
> > > of making it critical.  It would accomplish nothing but push the 1.2
> > > release a couple months.

Argh.  Are release dates really more important than SECURITY HOLES?  :-(

> > And we can always - after testing - put 3.2 into rex-fixed, can't we?
>
> No.  Changes to the stable release are only allowed for extremely serious
> bugs such as security holes that allow root access.

Well, the libXt buffer overrun _is_ a security hole that allows root access
so it should qualify for rex-fixed.  There are apparently a few other holes
too (like being able to crash xterm with a too long escape sequence, etc.).

Exploit program for FreeBSD has been posted to bugtraq quite some time ago
- I haven't seen one for Linux yet, but it shouldn't be too hard to write.

Marek