Re: WebSTD 2.1: debian in filenames and long paths to installed docs.

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

bruce >From: Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org>
bruce >> Remove all debian occurences. We could say that all directories in
bruce >> /usr/lib/www are mapped into the root of the real tree
bruce >
bruce >I'd like to stay out of the root of the web server entirely. There is
bruce >also strong opposition to having too many symbolic links.

There wont be many symbolic links. Just the directories immediately in
/usr/lib/www.

bruce >> Move cgi-bin back into the server root that will simplify it even
bruce >> more.
bruce >
bruce >Please try my virtual pathname CGI script. That should work with all
bruce >servers that follow the CGI standard to export cgi-bin/debian.
bruce >I have a C version of this that filters pathnames and executes
bruce >quickly that I wrote a while back for hams.com - I can give that you that
bruce >once you verify that the shell version works.

Ok. I tried it but still do not seem to understand the issue. Please send
me that script.

bruce >> Usage of /var/lib/www should be discouraged (only if documents are
bruce >> generated by some tools! otherwise other storage in /var should be used by
bruce >> the tool. Man2html uses /var/man2html for example).
bruce >
bruce >The problem with this is that we want to directly serve some of these
bruce >documents, and thus for security purposes it helps to have them under
bruce >a restricted set of directory trees so that the webmaster can easily audit
bruce >exactly what is being served.

Which documents are you talking about? If we convert all manpages or
similar things then storage in /var/lib/www makes sense. If an
application has application specific storage needs (such as the glimpse
indexes of man2html) then it should store it in its own application
specifc place.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5