Re: Debian WWW standards version 2.0

'Stuart Lamble wrote:'

>bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) wrote:
>[...]
>>1.1 Serving Debian Documentation
>>
>>A primary purpose of the WWW server and browser on a Debian system is to
>>provide access to all available Debian documentation. This implies several
>>goals:
>>
>>	A. WWW configuration must be automatic.
>>		Since the user is reading documentation via WWW, we
>>		must provide that user with a WWW configuration that
>>		works correctly right away, without any configuration
>>		on the user's part.
>
>[rest snipped]
>
>Sorry to come in so late on this, but I this looks very much like a very
>large sledgehammer to me. On my home system (ignoring for the moment the
>fact that only dpkg so far has installed html files - probably because
>that's the only package I've really kept up-to-date, apart from those I
>maintain), if I need to look at a html file, I just fire up Lynx in the
>appropriate directory:

It means we can configure lynx, Mosaic, et. al. to automatically bring
up the Debian documentation and guided tour.  It's for beginners.
And, IMO, it's important.  Even better, I think there is sufficient
provision for advanced sysadmins to rm -rf this newbie stuff and still
have a system dpkg can maintain.  Bruce has taken care of everything
that I can think of.  But until we implement it, we won't know of some
obscure limitation ...

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS