Problems with dpkg and package case

I found a potential bug/problem with dpkg's handling of package's
case. I built a replacement of the old tclX package (uppercase X) in
two distinct packages tclx74 (lowercase x) and tclx75 (lower x).

I wanted that both packages Replaces: and Conflicts: with tclX
(uppercase X), as intended. Additionnaly, I wanted them to Provides:
the virtual tclx (lowercase x) package so that scripts could depend
upon tclx and not a fixed version of tclx like tclx74 or tclx75.

However, dpkg treats the control file's `Provides: tclx' line as
`Provides: tclX' , making the two packages unable to install at the
same time.

Is this intended behavior, or is it a problem ?

Phil.