Re: Webspace configuration

Chris Fearnley <cjf@netaxs.com> writes:

> 'Lars Wirzenius wrote:'
> >
> >> An other problem I currently see is that dpkg will unpack the
> >> package first and then run the install scripts (correct ?). In
> >> what directory should dpkg unpack the package if the links are
> >> not there yet ?

> >You don't install anything via /etc/webspace/*. You install
> >into /usr/lib/XXX, and create a symlink (in postinst):
> >/etc/webspace/html/XXX -> /usr/lib/XXX.

> OK, I'm glad you don't want anything like this installed into /etc.
> I'm confused what the postinst linking is for.

Ok, lets take an 'idvi' package as an example.

The maintainer of the Debian machine has placed his web document tree
at /var/web/webspace.  There is a link in etc/webspace pointing to
this directory, e.g.

ln -s /var/web/webspace /etc/webspace/html

He later decides to install idvi.

The idvi package unpacks into: /usr/lib/idvi and /usr/bin (It has some
utilities that run on the local machine for creating web pages.)  IDVI
also expects some pk files and java classes to be in "/lib/idvi/..."
(in webspace, not on the filesystem), so the postinst script does:

install -d /etc/webspace/html/lib
               (this creates the directory if it doesn't exist)
and

ln -sf /usr/lib/idvi/web /etc/webspace/html/lib/idvi
               (this is the postinst linking - note that /usr/lib/idvi
                proper has some stuff that doesn't go into the web tree.)

So in reality the new lib directory ends up in /var/lib/webspace and
the symlink ends up in /var/lib/webspace/html.

Steve
dunham@gdl.msu.edu