Re: Webspace configuration

On 1 Nov 1996, Steve Dunham wrote:

> Mike Neuffer <mike@i-Connect.Net> writes:
>
> > It would have to be done by whatever www related package gets installed
> > first, so ALL www related the packages would need to include the
> > additional setup and link code........
>
> > This would probably create a lot of a mess.
>
> I believe that Lars was suggesting that the www related packages
> depend on some sort of http-server virtual package, so (hopefully) the
> links would be in place by the time the 'postinst' script of the
> www-related package gets run.  The only way I see to do this properly
> is to have the links in the package, but mark them as configuration
> files (so they don't get overwritten).  Would this work?

Yes, if all packages have as precondition a virtual package called for
example http-server which sets up the necessary structures it would
almost work.

The problems would probably start, if you switch from one http server to
another and remove the old package.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005