Re: Repost: POSIX 1387.2 (package-management)

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I've heard that RPM and DPKG are far superior to POSIX packages.
       -----\ don't you think its best to make your own opinion by reading
it first ? I can tell you for distributed packagemanagement the
X/Open-paper has many things to say. (This I guess from their topics-list)

> So far, nobody is asking for them in the way they are asking for
> POSIX.1 compliance, other than to say "have you heard of this,
> or did you know this existed"?
Granted, but wouldn't it be nice to have one common
packagemanagment-standard agreed by industry & GNU etc.?

> If we ever had to do so, we could provide a POSIX package tool to
> conform to the standard,
and rpm and ... and ...
> however we probably would not ever want to
> use it as our primary package tool.
>
> 	Thanks
>
> 	Bruce

Cheerio, Michael.