Re: tcsh package

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Guy Maor wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Vadik V. Vygonets wrote:
>
> > IMHO, it's better to do an _absolute_ symbolic link (like /bin/tcsh),
> > because the /usr partition may be mounted, and it may even be mounted
> > under another name and /usr (or /usr/bin) may be just a symbolic link on
> > it.
>
> No, read the policy manual, section 3.2.7.

Well, from this very manual:

   In particular, symlinks from one part of /usr to another should be
   relative.

Well, it's not the case...

   In certain cases, however, relative links may cause more problems. For
   example, links into /etc and /var should be absolute.

Well, I'd say it about links from /usr to /bin, too.  It may cause
problems.  As I said, there may be a big partition with /usr
directories for several architectures, /home and another stuff
mounted via NFS from remote server under, say, /serverdisk, and /usr
then will be a symbolic link to /serverdisk/i386-linux-usr, so the
relative symbolic link in /usr/bin/tcsh (actually,
/serverdisk/i386-linux-usr/bin/tcsh) pointing to ../../bin/tcsh
will, in fact, point to /serverdisk/bin/tcsh, which means, be
broken.  If we make it an absolute link, then there will be no
problem.

#ifdef PLAYFUL_MOOD
Non-standard disclaimer: It's all IMHO.  Israeli Airforce has no
responsibility on my views on FSSTND, nor on Debian policy manual,
section 3.2.7 or any other section of it, nor on ANY other subject,
nor I try to represent their views on any subject ;)
#endif

With respect,
Vadik.

Vadik V. (_`    vadik@arbornet.org  http://www.arbornet.org/~vadik/
Vygonets (_.lf  For PGP public key, email me with sibject "get pgpkey"
Linux hackers are funny people: They count the time in patchlevels.