Re: Imagmagick license & various problems

> I've debianized ImageMagick and uploaded it to master, in section
> non-free for now. However I think I could move it to the 'graphics'
> section as:
> 1) The license states it's free (included as attachment)
> 2) It doesn't include the GIF compression code
> What do you think about this ?

Looks ok to me.

> A Debian user would like to change the default cache size (16MB) for
> the display program to something more suitable for small systems.
> I don't want to modify the source unnecessarily. This cache size can
> be controlled through a X resource. I'm considering the following
> 1) Change this to something smaller (making the manpage wrong) in
> /etc/X11/Xdefaults.

No, you should be installing the resource in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults.  Change it there and in the manpage if
you wish.  The user can make changes to /etc/X11/Xresources.

> 2) Make a postinst script to ask the user about it. (I don't like
> this solution, if every package asked small details like this, it
> would be a nightmare).

I agree that this option is undesirable.

> 3) Document the problem in the doc file.

That's a more reasonable option.  Either way you should install the
resource.  Note that it should not be a conffile.

> BTW, I've sent a message to debian-changes to inform users about the upload of the package, but the message never came out. What's the procedure to send a message to debian-changes ?

I just saw the message.

Guy