Re: dpkg-shlibs and soname

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:

> Read dpkg-shlibs ... there's a shlibs.local mentioned.  It could be used
> to fix the missing libs in /etc/dpkg/shlibs.default

This is correct (and probably the expected method). My question is: Why
aren't the full set of libraries provided in Debian represented in the
default file? This is, after all, a development tool, expected to be used
during package development. Aren't any, and all, libraries available for
use in a package? Shouldn't they all be represented in the default shared
library file? Otherwise, every time I pick up a new package I am likely to
need to add one, or more, libraries to this file.

Later,

Dwarf