Re: Problems removing packages with --root flag to dpkg

Bruce Perens said:
> > I'm doing some development (experimenting) with debian, and when I try the
> > following:
> > dpkg --root=/dos/linux --purge --force-remove-essential e2fsprogs
> First, it may be essential to "cd" to /dos/linux before running this.
> I've seen chroot(2) change the root without changing the current
> directory.

That's true. I'll give it a try. I believe GNU chroot does not change the
current directory.

> Second, anything done in a chroot context, as above, depends on all
> of the context of a Linux system being in place under /dos/linux: the
> shared libraries, the shell, etc. In this case it's not able to find
> or execute the interpreter for the postrm script, which is
> /dos/linux/bin/sh. This is going to be difficult if you just removed
> some other essential packages.

The sh and perl executables are both present, so I think it's more likely
something to do with what you said above.

> I think a few people have tried to build a system from zero using dpkg.
> That doesn't work because of the "bootstrap problem". If you have not
> done so, you should install the boot-floppies package, and examine all
> of the scripts in it. That will show you how the base system is created
> and how you can modify the process.

Actually, I untar'red the base system to /dos/linux, and I'm just trying to
remove a few unnecessary packages which aren't needed in an extremely stripped
down system running from umsdos.

Thanks for the help.

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 3 days. If you don't   ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail. ]
[ Unsolicited commercial and junk e-mail will be proof-read for US$100 ]

"Small is the number of them that see with their own eyes, and feel with their
   own hearts."
   - Albert Einstein