getting packages of hold with dpkg

Hi,

I have a lot of packages here which are, for some reason I don't know, on
hold. I never did this intentionally, I think it happened when I was
playing around with dselect a while back.

Anyways, now I want them to get of that 'On hold'-state. Is there a way
that I can do this easily, and at the same time to get rid of those
packages I have purged a long time ago, but are still in the database? (I
know of -forget-old-unavail, does this do that?).

Maarten

|     Maarten Boekhold, Faculty of Electrical Engineering TU Delft,   NL    |
|      boekhold@cindy.et.tudelft.n   boekhold@gopher.library.tudelft.nl     |