Re: Shared libraries and symbols

Hi Dominik,

> > /lib/libc.so.5.4.4: no symbols
>
> This is most certainly a bug!

Why? It works without a problem. I got this libc by using David's Debian
files with HJ's sources.

> Try debug a dynamically linked binary using gdb and you will see lots of
> messages about loading symbols from the shared libraries ...

circe:meskes 108) nm /lib/libc.so.5.4.4
/lib/libc.so.5.4.4: no symbols
circe:meskes 109) ./t
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
circe:meskes 110) gdb t core
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.15.1 (i486-linux), Copyright 1995 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
Core was generated by ./t'.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.5.4.4...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.1...done.
#0  0x4006eeb4 in memmove ()

So where's the problem?

> I would prefer to keep the symbols in the libraries.

As for the static libraries they have to be kept but the for the shared
ones? Also I don't see any reason why debugging symbols are kept. I ran
`strip -g` on my libraries and saved about 500K (sorry don't know the
libraries that had the debugging symbols).

Michael

--
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
meskes@informatik.rwth-aachen.de |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________