Re: Bruce - fiat required to end discussion on lyx/copyright ?

Susan G. Kleinmann writes ("Re: Bruce - fiat required to end discussion on lyx/copyright ? "):
> This is my synopsis of the relevant parts of Chapter 2:
>
> Packages go into contrib if their copyrights or patents require that they:
> a.  allow distribution of no source code
> b.  allow distribution of only some source code, but not all the source code
>     needed to compile the program (even given the existence of other sources
>     in the Debian distribution).
> c.  depend on a non-free or contrib package in order to be used
> d.  allow use only for a trial period
> e.  lack vital functionality
> f.  are installer packages
> g.  fail to meet some other policy requirement
>
> Packages go into non-free if their copyrights or patents require that they:
> h.  disallow distribution for profit
> i.  disallow distribution on certain media
> j.  disallow distribution except if special permission is obtained
> k.  have "any other onerous conditions".
>

> My reactions:
>
> Condition (a) is redundant, given condition (b).

Yes, if you think about them like that.  I haven't expressed it quite
that way.

> It is not clear either what is meant by condition (k), nor how condition
> (k) differs from condition (g).  Without such a distinction, non-free
> and contrib overlap.

(k) is there as a catch-all, in case someone comes up with another
example of a bad thing in a copyright.

non-free and contrib do overlap - they are intended to.  The way I
have phrased it makes it clear that if a package meets the bad
criteria for needing to be in non-free, and those for contrib, it must
go in non-free.

> The word "onerous" in condition (k) would seem inconsistent with
> the Debian objective to be "a base upon which value-added
> GNU/Linux distributions can be built."

I don't understand this at all.

Ian.