Re: Documentation formats

Bruce Perens writes ("Re:  Documentation formats"):
> From: Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>
> > The thing is that I think we need to be able to distribute other
> > [documentation] end-products [than HTML].
> Do you have a proposal?

My initial proposal is as follows:

If it's available we distribute HTML documentation with the package
itself (if the documentation is usually distributed with the package)
or in the main documentation package <package>-doc (if it wants to be
distributed separately, for example because it's large).

Other formats are distributed in separate packages <package>-doc*
where * is some string.  We can either put them all together, keeping
the number of packages small, or have one package per format, making
it possible to install formats selectively.  If we do former the *
should probably be `xf' (extra formats) or `fmts' (formats) or some
such; if we do the latter it should represent the format (`dvi', `ps',
`text', whatever).

We can do a mixture of the two, specifying that one or two specific
formats should be supplied in their own packages, or allow the package
maintainer to decide, or set size-based guidelines, or whatever.

Opinions and arguments, anyone ?

Ian.