Re: CC's on this mailing list

> I'm considering adding a paragraph to the policy manual telling people
> not to CC each other when replying to messages on debian-devel.
>
> Is it the consensus of the list that this would be a good idea ?

It's a difficult call.  Quite often I get copies of mail simply because
I posted the msg being replied to, even though it is only relavent to the
group and not me specifically.

If it is relavent to me specifically (eg. relates to one of my packages),
then I like being copied because it means I won't miss it in the volume
of the list.

The best solution I can think of would be a daemon that monitors the lists
and if it sees an outgoing message that was copied to someone else, it sends
a very polite email saying that the user should be sure to copy the original
author _only_ if it specifically relates to him/her.  Making sure that such
a notice doesn't get mailed to a user more than once a month would also be
a good idea.

It's more work, but I think it would have the best results in the end.

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )