Re: Draft manuals

Raul Miller writes ("Re: Draft manuals"):
> Some thought about qmail should occur [in the section on
> mail processing].
>
> qmail doesn't use a mail spool directory for security reasons, mail
> boxes are in the user's home directory by default.  And, of course,
> there's the maildir format for people wanting a very robust system.
>
> I've seen mention on debian-devel of making movemail aware of
> maildir.  I suspect that this is the right thing to do.

qmail's author has taken a deliberate choice to be incompatible with
things, and this means that we can either:
 * mandate that everything support what qmail does
 * live with not everything working when you use qmail.

What precisely do you think I should put in the policy manual on this
subject ?  I'm loath to mandate that every program support qmail's
maildir format.

Perhaps the qmail package should come with a local delivery agent that
can do delivery into /var/spool/mail ?  It only has to be setgid mail,
not setuid root.  That requirement would be the effect of the policy
requirements as they're written atm.

Ian.