Re: New virtual package names.

Dale Scheetz writes ("Re: New virtual package names. "):
> On another note, is there an editor virtual package? Is there any interest
> in adding one? It could be valuable to add Provides: editor to ae (and
> others as well).

Sorry I'm coming into this so late (just over a week, in fact), but I
think this is a daft idea.

Noone is going to deinstall all the editors on their system and not
notice what they've done wrong and how to fix it - this is not the
kind of `mistake' our dependency scheme should try to address.

The only possible consequences of creating an `editor' virtual package
and having things depend on it are:
 * Needless updates to packages to add dependencies and Provides
 * Some person installs their own favourite editor in /usr/local
   and wants to remove all ours but can't.

I think the `editor' virtual package should be scrapped.

Ian.