Re: Documentation formats

Bruce Perens:
> The unification of Debian documentation will be carried out via HTML.

I assume the unification won't mean that the native formats aren't
supported -- they _do_ have benefits.

That said, I fully agree with choosing HTML. Debiandoc, supports on-line
conversions to HTML from man and text, and info2www supports Info (it
isn't really integrated, but it's not really visible). The converters
are configurable.

In addition, I think we should provide texi2html'd documentation in
addition to Info files. texi2html seems to do a better job than info2www.

> A keyword search facility and a unifying set of indices are a high
> priority.

I don't think we have free software packaged to do full text searches.
We have glimpse and ferret, neither of which is free. There's something
that is part of freeWais, but I haven't looked at it yet. Someone with
the time should find and package one. It should be usable from the
command line so that it can easily be integrated into Debiandoc.

--
Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> <http://www.iki.fi/liw/>