Re: elm problems

> Well, the question is, why does it set the value to 'w' when debian.rules
> calls the make, but not when I call make from the prompt?

Because it's a subprocess of another make.  Like the doc says:

>   Normally, you do not need to specify this option because `make' does
>it for you: `-w' is turned on automatically when you use the `-C'
>option, and in sub-`make's.  `make' will not automatically turn on `-w'
>if you also use `-s', which says to be silent, or if you use
>`--no-print-directory' to explicitly disable it.

Also, if you insist on passing the flags on the make command line, use
MFLAGS, it works that way -- MAKEFLAGS is passed through the
environment already, so using -$(MAKEFLAGS) is (1) redundant (2) wrong
if there are no options already given...