Re: Documentation formats

ecl@fnpc21.if.usp.br (Emilio Lopes)  wrote on 06.08.96 in <[🔎] m0unvdK-000VVnC@fnpc21.if.usp.br>:

> Lynx is ugly (JMHO). Can't really use it. Nevertheless, I must be able
> to read docs in text mode.
>
> IMHO info is a great format. After reading some discussion on

Actually, I have just about the same problems with info that you have with
lynx - it's ugly, it has a *really* arcane user interface. Hell, it
doesn't even have working cursor key support!

(And *don't* tell me to use Emacs. I don't want that monster.)

On the other hand, the search problem with HTML can certainly be solved.

Personally, I think what's needed is a sort of extremely light-weight http
server for this stuff. Shouldn't be too hard; maybe I'll look into that
when I come back from my vacation. Could probably even be written in Perl
:-)

> problem are the info browsers. The last version I checked of the
> standalone "info" program simply sucks. Maybe someone with a good

Oh, I see we don't disagree that much :-)

MfG Kai