Re: f2c-960717-0 uploaded to master

>Could you provide a reference to these benchmarks, and the compiler settings
>they used? Or better yet, even run them?  I don't really use fortran myself,
>but link some of my C++ code with Fortran libraries that other folks have
>done. But I could do with a speedup of factor 2 ...

see the following web-site
http://nils.wustl.edu/schiotz/lapack-linux.html

(this is a partial quote)
PERFORMANCE:

I have compared the speed of the level 3 BLAS routines, using a benchmark program I found on
Netlib. I ran it using Dave Webers f2c+gcc compiled library, and also using g77 compiled static and
dynamic libraries. Here are the results, obtained on a 75MHz Pentium PC from Gateway2000.

                           ------- Speed in Megaflops -------
Routine                 f2c+gcc         g77             g77
                        (shared)        (shared)        (static)
DSYMM                   2.9             5.3             5.6
DSYRK                   2.7             5.5             5.6
DSYR2K                  3.2             6.0             6.0
DTRMM                   2.6             4.6             5.1
DTRSM                   2.4             4.1             4.5
Average                 2.76            5.10            5.36
rel. to f2c+gcc         100%            185%            194%
rel. to g77(sh)         54%             100%            105%
rel. to g77(st)         51%             95%             100%
So I see almost a factor two increase in performance! I also see the expected 5% penalty of the
shared libraries, coming from losing one register.