Re: ssh package

Dominik Kubla writes:
> Sorry for your Rhein Fire now definitely being out of the race for
> WorldBowl '96!

Never mind, was a great game on Sunday anyway.

> Wrong: ITAR regulations do not permit any sensible military technology
> (incl. cryptography) being moved out of the U.S. That includes DES and
> therefore libc as well!  As it stands right now, anybody mirroring any
> Linux distribution from the U.S (and anybody offering it!) is
> violating U.S. laws.

But what's the situation with PGP? We do have an international and an US
version of PGP on master.

> > Isn't it possible to create two versions of ssh, ssh-i and ssh-us,
> > as we do with pgp? I take it distributing the international version
> > via the US is not illegal is it?
>
> It is (see above).

But then we're illegal anyway because of pgp.

> No, i will not.  As it stands right now i am already contributing more
> of my time to the Debian Project than i should (and originally
> intended to).  I regard the ssh package as CONTRIBUTED SOFTWARE
> WITHOUT MAINTENANCE which i only packaged for Debian because i was to
> build it anyway.  I will make that clear in the next, and most likely
> final, release.

So it's orphaned. Could someone explain how the two pgp versions are
handeld? I don't think it'll be too much work to make two packages. In the
worst case both are orphaned.

Ian, you're maintaining pgp, could you please tell us whether ssh is
different?

Thanks
Michael

--