why are we renaming ncurses man pages?

The latest ncurses snapshot broke the manpage renaming while trying to
automate the decision of whether renaming needs to take place.  So I
complained.

Now I find myself in the silly position of having requested that
people fix a feature that, upon reflection, I cannot make any argument
for because I don't know exactly why it's being done myself.

So, could someone explain why it is necessary for us to rename all the
ncurses manual pages?  Is it simply an aesthetic thing, or is it a
technical issue relating to our choice of man program?

Cheers,

Mike.
--
"Don't let me make you unhappy by failing to be contrary enough...."