Re: Is Debian itself *really* freely redistributable?

From: Mike Coleman <coleman@chez-gnu.cstp.umkc.edu>
> It seems to me, though, that the Debian packages themselves (e.g., *.deb)
> files are derivatives that the package maintainers hold a (so far implicit)
> copyright on.

We publish a copyright statement with each Debian package. In each package,
we have honored the copyright of the original author and we have placed
the entire package under that copyright, including the Debian modifications.

We can not, and will not, stop anyone who wants to distribute Debian from
doing so.

	Bruce
--
Pixar's Toy Story: Over 1/3 Billion dollars world box office so far.

Bruce Perens AB6YM          Bruce@Pixar.com            http://www.hams.com/