Semantics of version number of a virtual package?

G'day,

I was just doing some poking around looking at all the virtual package names
in use that aren't listed in the virtual package names list, and I noticed a
"conflicts" line with a version number range where the package is virtual.
That is, the package name referred to does not exist, but is provided by
another package.  The relevant info from the example in question:

Package: aout-svgalib
version: 1.28-6
depends: svgalib1,libc.so.4
provides: svgalib

Package: svgalib1
version: 1.28-6
depends: libc5
conflicts: svgalib (<=1.28-2)

What does it mean here that svgalib1 conflicts with svgalib <= 1.28-2?  Does
it mean it conflicts with aout-svgalib <= 1.28-2?  Should this be allowed?
Obviously it makes no sense to refer to, say, mail-transport-agent <= 5.3,
but is it reasonable for backward-compatibility packages or should it be
flagged as an error?

				Warwick

Warwick Harvey                                    email: warwick@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Department of Computer Science                        phone: +61-3-9287-9171
University of Melbourne                                 fax: +61-3-9348-1184
Parkville, Victoria, AUSTRALIA 3052     web: http://www.cs.mu.OZ.AU/~warwick