kernel-package-0.7 uploaded to master

Hi,

	I have just uploaded a new version of the kernel packaging
 scripts to my account on master.debian.org (also copied to
 Incoming).  This version addresses the problem of not being able to
 remove old kernel-image packages without using the dpkg option
 --force-remove-essential.

	In essence, the essential flag on kernel-image-X.X.XX packages
 is removed, instead, a prerm script has been added (as Ian Jackson
 suggested) that refuses to remove a running kernel (to be more
 specific: if you are running a kernel that identifies itself as
 version X.X.XX [as reported by uname -r] then you can't remove
 kernel-image-X.X.XX) This follows the spirit of the essentials
 flag. As a bonus, if you have a valid lilo.conf file that mentions
 the kernel version being removed (we follow symlinks), the prerm
 gives you a chance to bail out, if you insist on continuing, it
 reminds you to edit lilo.conf and re-run lilo.

	It would probably be a good idea if an essential base package
 depended on the virtual package kernel-image, so that at least one
 image package would be loaded, but maybe this is not strictly
 required.

	This version should be stable and ready for release (I spent
 lots of time testing it), and I don't expect to make any more changes
 in the script unless they are bug fixes or feature requests.

	The changes file is appended.

		manoj

--
If the aborigine drafted an IQ test, all of Western civilization would
presumably flunk it.  -- Stanley Garn %%