dpkg doesn't recognize some *.deb packages

Hi -

I've been trying out the Debian 1.1 beta, but I have been having
trouble installing some of the packages.  I get a message like
"not a debian archive".  In other words, dpkg doesn't recognize
the file as a debian package.

Here is a list of the packages that I have had this problem with
so far:

    texbin.deb, mfbin.deb, pcb.deb, x10.deb

I used the DOS names to save myself some typing.

Also, on a minor side, if I use "exit" to exit from Midnight
Commander, my next keystroke causes a segmentation fault and
core dump.

Keep up the good work...

Bill