Re: http daemon suggestion/proposal

> From: Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>
> Subject: Re: http daemon suggestion/proposal
>
> David H. Silber:
> > Why not?  /var is intended for data that might (or is likely to) change.
>
> I'm likely to change /usr/bin, since I often install new software.
> Therefore, all new software should be installed in /var/bin instead.
>
> Installing a new cgi-bin is similar to installing a new program, and both
> require a writeable /usr.  If we want to support a completely non-writeable
> /usr, while still allowing installation of new software, then perhaps
> we should look into a mechanism to solve the general case.  (/opt, perhaps.
> In any case, we would need relocateable packages.)
>
> /var is for data that is likely to change during normal operation.
> Installing new software is not normal operation.

You are (at least partially) correct about the cgi-bin directory belonging
under /usr.  However, I was also thinking of the html documents.  Those
belong under /var (or perhaps /usr/local).  Also, there needs to be a
mechanism available which would allow for locally-written cgi scripts in
addition to those distributed as part of packages -- perhaps
/usr/local/cgi-bin or /usr/local/www/cgi-bin.  (I think that Apache allows
for multiple cgi directories.)

--
  David H. Silber     dhs@firefly.com     Project: Refinance the house!
  <http://www.access.digex.net/~dhs/>     Project: lockstep