Re: Another shadow question

Hello Michael,

> Is anyone already working on a shadow package? I will install shadow on my
> machine anyway, so I might as well try to do so as an experimental package.

I debianized shadow quite a while ago (privately for myself) and sent the
Debian-Patches to Marek. There was a first problem with the copyright,
but this is fortunately resolved now (the shadow package is now released
under the BSD copyright).

The reason why I haven't released the Shadow-Package are two-fold:
1) Main reason: The shadow package breaks our current packaging scheme badly.
   There are far too many conflicting binaries which are replaced by
   shadow (passwd, login was in miscutils (where is it now?),
           su is in shellutils, chfn, newgrp (in shellutils), ...)
   The best variant would probably be to put these programs into
   small packages, and use the Conflicts:/Replaces: mechanism.
2) There seems to be a reluctance against incorporating shadow; that's at
   least my impression. I don't have any idea where this comes from.

Later,
  David
--
David Frey <david@eos.lugs.ch>|Microsoft isn't the answer...it's the QUESTION.
Schlieren, Switzerland        |``No'' is the answer.