Re: Package naming rules.

M> Now, I also think the "right" way to do this is to create tools for
M> most common scripting languages so they can get the info from
M> within the .deb file, rather than trying to coax it out of the file
M> name.

If you're talking about some code that does the parsing, the
disadvantage is that we can't easily fix bugs by releasing a new
version unless everyone copies and pastes the new code into all their
scripts (that is, unless the code is in a library (for the languages
that support it)).  Anyway, you get the point.

I guess we could have a debian-funcs library or something...  Of
course dpkg will do much of this stuff, and maintaining several
libraries in sync with dpkg might be a lot of work.

--
Rob