Re: loginutils package, etc.

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> > miscutils and loginutils will be based on sources taken from several
> > different packages, among them admutils, util-linux, and bsd.
>
> Please do not make any packages that contain sources from more than
> one upstream package. Please make a separate Debian package for each
> upstream package. When in doubt, please split packages into smaller
> ones rather than making big packages. It's a good idea sometimes for
> a source package to generate several binary packages so that it is
> easy to subset or replace portions.

What's the rationale for this?  I'm only taking a fraction of the
upstream packages.  The upstream packages group seemingly unrelated
programs.  miscutils, loginutils, and fsutils, in contrast, group
related programs together.  In a couple of instances, both of these
packages provide the same program; I'm taking the better one, and
usually adding my own and others' bug fixes.

You guys don't mind having lots of tiny little packages, then?  It
seems that is much harder to maintain as there are more possible
combinations that a user could install.

I'm sure you've seen the original proposal I posted a couple of days
ago so you know what programs I'm talking about.  Previously, miscutils
was a hodgepodge of programs.  I feel that my proposal was very clean.
Making further divisions in it would unnecessarily complicate it.

Guy