Re: MSDOS name conversion

> 1. Is it OK just to change over to using these names, discarding the
> old ones, or will this (for example) cause problems for mirrors ?
A lot of mirrors seem to be broken, so that shouldn't be a problem.
I can't think of any other problems for discarding the old names.
> 3. Should we split the packages in the main binary directories too
> (adding complication), or only in the msdos directories (wasting disk
> space) ?
I think that splitting the packages in the main binary is a bit of a
problem for the dftp and dpkg-ftp scripts (I didn't check but I can
imagine). Therefore we better not split the packages. On the other hand
offering splitted packages for msdos directories is a very good one.
I would like it very much. Wasting diskspace seems to be needed at this
moment. Perhaps we should allow this until the above mentioned scripts
are updated to deal with splitted packages and then switch over to
splitted packages.

Perhaps a cgi-bin script can be created to make full package download
for splitted packages possible. with ftp this seems unpossible, but a
simple `cat' script should be able to do the job on httpd.
--
Erick Branderhorst@heel.fgg.eur.nl +31-10-4635142
Department of General Surgery (Intensive Care) University Hospital Rotterdam NL