Re: Static vs Dynamic Linking

    >> Sorry folks, the man-2.3.10-7 I released yesterday was statically
    >> linked against libc. (my latest upgrade went wrong). :(
    >> This version is dynamically linked:

    brian> What is the procedure for checking if a binary is statically linked?
    brian> I was under the impression that gcc used shared libraries unless
    brian> it was given the "-static" flag.  Is this correct?

ldd will show what dynamic libraries are required by an executable.

The problem was (AFAIK) that ldconfig did not get run correctly after
a rather chaotic upgrade. gcc/ld found no dynamic lib c so it used the
fallback static one instead.

Reinstalling both lib5c packages fixed the problem.

alvar

--
Alvar Bray

Meiko Limited        Phone:    +44 1454 616171
650 Aztec West       Fax:      +44 1454 618188
Bristol BS12 4SD     E-Mail:   alvar@meiko.co.uk
England              WWW: