Re: dftp & dselect

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996 13:21:00 -0500 , "brian (b.c.) white" <bcwhite@bnr.ca> said:

> Actually, dselect has more features.  Dftp was written before there

I was thinking of package verification against md5sum.  I don't think
the dselect ftp method has that yet (maybe I'm wrong).

> Dftp presents the user with a list of all packages that are new or
> have been updated and allows the user to choose which ones to
> retrieve/install.  Dselect, on the other hand, requires that you
> know the package you want to install.

I still don't see much difference here.  Dselect presents you with a
list of *all* packages, including new ones, then downloads the
selected ones.

It's easy to overlook new packages using dselect, though, because the
screen is so busy.  Also, with dselect you have to choose the packages
you *don't* want to upgrade, because it selects them all for you.  :-/

> The latest version of dftp will now run on an NFS mount, CD-ROM,
> etc., so you can determine what has changed between what is
> installed and what is available on distributions other than FTP.

Can't the dselect hard disk installation method be used to accomplish
the same thing?

--Mike