Re: file naming convention for debian package files (was: Re: dselect FTP method ...)

>We should require a revision number for Debian packages. Imagine someone
>forgets to remove -g in the Makefile and doesn't strip the executable, or
>some other oversight happens. You need a revision number to distinguish
>an oversight-fix release.

If that were to happen to the upstream package for a
non-Debian-specific package then the upstream version number would
change when it was fixed.  Why not for Debian-specific packages also?
Looked at that way the revision number for a Debian-specific package
will never change and so would be redundant.

I think the absence of a revision number is a good indicator of Debian
specific packages anyway.

--
Richard Kettlewell  richard@uk.geeks.org  http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/