dpkg Replaces: field (was Re: binary-alpha and binary-sparc directories)

'Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:'

>  Raul Miller writes:
>  Raul> It does look like dvips was superceeded by some other package, and
>  Raul> that it did originally have some executables in it.
>
>Nils switched to the upstream convention of reflecting the 'k' for Karl
>Berry's kpathsea in the package name.
>
>I had moaned about this weeks ago. You have to manually delete dvips after
>installing dvipsk, xdvi after xdvik etc. A "Conflicts:" in debian.control
>might have helped here. Or a new "Replaces:" field.

Yes, this seems to me a good idea.  Conflicts involves too much
administrator intervention.  Ian, can we have this feature in dpkg?

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS
cjf@netaxs.com (finger me!)        |    (Philadelphia Area Computer Society)