Re: binary-alpha and binary-sparc directories

   Date: Fri, 29 Dec 95 17:51 EST
   From: Raul Miller <rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu>

   How should we distinguish between i386/m68k/sparc specific packages
   and architecture neutral packages?

As I envision it, we'll have a structure like this:

debian-1.1/
debian-1.1/binary-alpha/
debian-1.1/binary-alpha/admin/
[...]
debian-1.1/binary-i386/
debian-1.1/binary-i386/admin/
[...]
debian-1.1/binary-m68k/
debian-1.1/binary-m68k/admin/
[...]
debian-1.1/binary-sparc/
debian-1.1/binary-sparc/admin/
[...]
debian-1.1/source/
debian-1.1/source/admin/
[...]

That is, if you want the i386 distribution, you go to
debian-1.1/binary-i386; if you want the m68k distribution, you go to
debian-1.1/binary-m68k; etc.  If you want the source, you go to the
unified source directory, no matter which architecture you're using.

I doubt there'll be a substantial number of architecture-neutral
packages; we can either copy or link them into all of the trees.

   For architecture specific
   packages, what happens if several .deb files get uploaded at the same
   time for the same package?

We'll either have to have separate Incoming directories for all
supported architectures, or we'll have to have a naming scheme for all
Incoming binary packages (prepending a dash and the architecture name,
for example) that can be easily resolved before the packages are moved.