Re: debmake & dpkg

On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> What does debmake not do? (There certainly are minor points granted).
> Forcing the debmake functionality on others is certainly not my intend.
> But I would like to see support for debmakes functionality (which is
> always optional at the developers discretion!) in dpkg where most of it
> would neatly integrate.
>
> I think you should have a look at the package before offering opinions on
> it.

I really wish you could divorce your emotional attachment to things you
build when having these discussions. I made it very clear that my reasons
had nothing to do with the technical excellence of the product, but with
my philosophical position as a package maintainer.
It's not what debmake doesn't do that concerns me. It is that it automates
a process that, from my point of view, I would rather slog through on my
own, so I know what is going on with the package. Debmake hides the
packageing methodology in a way that I am not comfortable with.
I agree that debmake should be included in the dpkg patheon. I'm just not
sure that now is the time.
I'm just one guy here, expressing my opinion, and the group, as a whole,
will eventually resolve issues like this, with, or without, my input.
However your last comment (and you have thrown this one at me before)
implies that I can't have an oppinion without investigating the details of
the software in question. This is a bogus argument, and not fitting for
someone with your intelligence.

Keep on truckin',

Dwarf