Re: To GNU or not to GNU?

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Martin Schulze:
> The most recent set of bootdisk contain messages like "Debian
> GNU/Linux".  I thought we have split with the FSF and should remove
> the "GNU" from all our packages.

http://www.debian.org/cooperation.txt (link is on www.debian.org
front page):

# From: bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)
# Date: Sun, 21 Jul 96 18:04 PDT
# To: debian-announce@lists.debian.org
# Subject: Debian and FSF Cooperate
#
# Some time ago, the Debian group decided to decline continued FSF
# sponsorship. This was followed by some well-meaning but very poorly
# stated messages that enraged many Linux participants.
#
# After an interval of broken communications, Debian and FSF have resumed
# cordial relations and are cooperating, even though FSF no longer has
# the control over the project that came with their former sponsorship of
# Debian, and Debian will _not_ ask for a resumption of sponsorship. Both
# groups have decided that this should not keep us from working together,
# and we are confident that we can mend any remaining Linux-FSF schism.
#
# What will come of this? And end to the annoying and useless "FSF vs.
# Linux" net discussion. More support for Linux in GNU software, and more
# support for FSF's goals in Linux software.
#
# To commemorate our decision that GNU and Linux should be partners,
# we will resume use of the name "Debian GNU/Linux" for our system.
#
#         Bruce Perens
#
#         Debian Project Leader